Colloidal nanodispersions as encapsulation and delivery vehicles of bioactive compounds (drugs, vitamins, pesticides, essential oils, antioxidants, enzymes, peptides)
Colloidal delivery systems based on microemulsions and nanoemulsions have been the centre of discussion for many years due to their broad range of application from drug delivery to encapsulation of food ingredients and biocatalysis. Both systems are consisted of an aqueous phase dispersed to an oil one (and vice versa), in the presence of surfactants.
Microemulsions are isotropic, optically clear, thermodynamically stable, and spontaneously formed liquid mixtures of oil, water and surfactants. They are composed of nanometer-sized droplets usually ranging from 5 to 50 nm. Nanoemulsions are kinetically stable liquid-in-liquid dispersions with droplet sizes ranging from 50 to 500 nm. They are prepared using low-energy or high-energy emulsification approaches or a combination of both. Hybrid hydrogels are nanoemulsion-filled hydrogels consisting of a polymer gel matrix in which a nanoemulsion is incorporated.
Encapsulation is the process of entrapping a variety of active compounds within a protective carrier material. The process of encapsulating substances with various coating materials at the nanoscale range is called nanoencapsulation.
- Demisli, S., Chatzidaki, M.D., Xenakis, A., Papadimitriou, V. (2022). Recent progress on nano-carriers fabrication for food applications with special reference to olive oil-based systems. Curr. Opin. Food Sci, Volume 43, 146-154
- Theochari, I., Mitsou, E., Nikolic, I., Ilic, T., Dobricic, V., Pletsa, V., Savic, S., Xenakis, A. and Papadimitriou, V. (2021). Colloidal nanodispersions for the topical delivery of Ibuprofen: Structure, dynamics and bioperformances. J. Mol. Liq., 334, 116021.
- Demisli, S., Mitsou, E., Pletsa, V., Xenakis, A., Papadimitriou, V. (2020). Development and study of nanoemulsions and nanoemulsion-based hydrogels for the encapsulation of lipophilic compounds. Nanomaterials, 10, 2464.
- Demisli, S., Theochari, I., Christodoulou, P., Zervou, M., Xenakis, A., Papadimitriou, V. (2020). Structure, activity and dynamics of extra virgin olive oil-in-water nanoemulsions loaded with vitamin D3 and calcium citrate. J. Mol. Liq. 306.
- Theochari, I., Giatropoulos, A., Papadimitriou, V., Karras, V., Balatsos, G., Papachristos, D., Michaelakis, A. (2020). Physicochemical Characteristics of Four Limonene-Based Nanoemulsions and Their Larvicidal Properties against Two Mosquito Species, Aedes albopictus and Culex pipiens molestus. Insects, 11, 740.
- Chatzidaki, M.D., Balkiza, F., Gad, E., Alexandraki, V., Avramiotis, S., Georgalaki, M., Papadimitriou, V., Tsakalidou, E., Papadimitriou, K., Xenakis, A. (2019). Reverse micelles as nano-carriers of nisin against foodborne pathogens. Part II: The case of essential oils. Food Chem., 278, 415-423.
- Golfomitsou, I., Mitsou, E., Xenakis, A., Papadimitriou, V. (2018). Development of food grade O/W nanoemulsions as carriers of vitamin D for the fortification of emulsion based food matrices: A structural and activity study. J.Mol. Liq., 268, 734-742.
- Chaari, M., Theochari, I., Papadimitriou, V., Xenakis, A., Ammar, E. (2018). Encapsulation of carotenoids extracted from halophilic Archaea in oil-in-water (O/W) micro-and nano-emulsions. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 161, 219-227
- Chatzidaki, M.D., Papadimitriou, K., Alexandraki, V., Balkiza, F., Georgalaki, M., Papadimitriou, V., Tsakalidou, E., Xenakis, A. (2018). Reverse micelles as nanocarriers of nisin against foodborne pathogens. Food Chem., 255, 97-103.
- Papanikolaou, N.E., Kalaitzaki, A., Karamaouna, F., Michaelakis, A., Papadimitriou, V., Dourtoglou, V., Papachristos, D.P. (2018). Nano-formulation enhances insecticidal activity of natural pyrethrins against Aphis gossypii (Hemiptera: Aphididae) and retains their harmless effect to non-target predators. Environ. Sci. Pollut. Res. 25, 10243-10249.
- Theochari, I., Papadimitriou, V., Papahatjis, D., Assimomytis, N., Pappou, E., Pletsa, V. (2018). Oil-in-water microemulsions as hosts for benzothiophene-based cytotoxic compounds: An effective combination. Biomimetics, 3, 13.
- Khemakhem, M., Sotiroudis, G., Mitsou, E., Avramiotis, S., Sotiroudis, T.G., Bouzouita, N., Papadimitriou, V. (2016) Melanin and humic acid -like polymer complex from olive mill wastewaters. Part II. Surfactant properties and encapsulation in W/O microemulsions. J. Mol. Liq. 222, 480-486
- Chatzidaki, M., Papadimitriou, K., Alexandraki, V., Tsirvouli, E., Chakim, Z.,Ghazel, A. Mortensen, K., Yaghmur, A., Salentinig, S., Papadimitriou, V., Tsakalidou, E., Xenakis, A. (2016). Microemulsions as potential carriers of nisin: effect of composition on the structure and efficacy. Langmuir, 32, 8988-8998
- Chatzidaki, M., N. Arik, J. Monteil, V. Papadimitriou, F. Leal-Calderon, A. Xenakis (2016). Microemulsion versus emulsion as effective carrier of Hydroxytyrosol. Colloids and Surfaces B. Biointerfaces (2016) 137, 146-151.
- Kalaitzaki, A., Papanikolaou, N.E., Karamaouna, F., Dourtoglou, V., Xenakis, A., Papadimitriou, V. (2015) Biocompatible Colloidal Dispersions as Potential Formulations of Natural Pyrethrins: A Structural and Efficacy Study. Langmuir, 31, 5722-5730.
- Chatzidaki, M., Mitsou, E., Yaghmur, A., Xenakis, A., Papadimitriou, V. (2015) Formulation and characterization of food-grade microemulsions as carriers ofnatural phenolic antioxidants. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physichochem. Eng. Aspects 483, 130-136
- Kalaitzaki, A., Poulopoulou, M., Papadimitriou, V., Xenakis, A. (2014) Surfactant-rich biocompatible microemulsions for transdermal administration of methylxanthine drugs. Colloids and Surfaces A: Physichochem. Eng. Aspects. 442, 80-87
- Kalaitzaki, A., Emo, M., Stébé, M.J., Xenakis, A., Papadimitriou, V. (2013) Biocompatible nanodispersions as delivery systems of food additives. Food Res International, 54, 1448-1454.
- Theochari, I., Xenakis, A., Papadimitriou, V. (2020). Nanocarriers for effective drug delivery. In Smart Nanocontainers (pp. 315-341). Elsevier.
- Chatzidaki, M.D., Papadimitriou, V., Xenakis, A. (2019). Encapsulation of food ingredients by microemulsions. In Lipid-Based Nanostructures for Food Encapsulation Purposes (pp. 129-149). Academic Press.