The individual Excellence objectives of ICB include:
- Discovery and development of targeted bioactive compounds, smart probes and theranostics for disease prevention, treatment and diagnosis.
- Identification and validation of disease- and Dr.ug-related biomarkers using modern holistic approaches.
- Basic research to unravel the molecular mechanisms involved in physiological and pathological conditions.
- (Nano) Biotechnology, Synthetic Biology and Green Chemistry for the production of high added value products with applications in food, nutraceuticals, pharmaceuticals, cosmetics and chemicals.
- Promotion of translational research through closer collaboration with clinical scientists.
- Consolidation of the activities of ICB in the education of young scientists and promotion of the diffusion of scientific knowledge to the society.
- Strengthening of partnerships with the private sector, transfer of know-how and provision of specialized research services to the public and private sector.
- Exploitation of research results through patents and creation of spin-off and start-up companies.